Hey Bjorn,

On 5/04/2012 1:52 AM, Bjorn Roche wrote:
Any thoughts about modernizing the whole thing with a fresh CMS? I
think it would be easier to maintain, have built-in spam filters, and
it would be easier to have multiple people do the work. Plus it would
look more attractive. I don't think it would take much effort to redo
the whole thing in, say, drupal.

Have you ever set up a Drupal site? I have. It is not for small-time, non-commercial, low-maintenance overhead projects imho.

Imho it would be a huge job to port the current site to Drupal and there is a lot of ongoing maintenance required to keep security patches up to date etc etc. Doing the theme port alone would be a lot of work.

Unless I'm completely out of touch it is really non-trivial to set up something like musicdsp.org in Drupal with adequate spam filtering. The standard Drupal capcha solution (Mollom) is not great -- in my experience it flags a lot of false positives (spam that isn't spam).

Anyway, this is really just a vote against Drupal for musicdsp.org, not against using a CMS.

I actually think the current ad-hoc php solution is not so bad -- but Bram knows more about these things than me.

Ross.