On May 11, 2014, at 7:42 PM, Sampo Syreeni <de...@iki.fi> wrote:
> On 2014-05-08, Nigel Redmon wrote:
>
>> The bottom line, I think, is that yes white noise is random, but the low
>> frequency components are, well, low frequency.
>
> You can't here 1Hz though, evenif you can hear its contray 1s repeat
> frequency.

True. But I meant that it seemed that repeating the repetition of a
low-frequency artifact  is easier to hear that artifacts that change quickly.
I’m just relaying an observation, not saying I understand it. That is, in
listening to white noise, if you pay attention to different frequency area, you
have a hiss on top, and in the low part you can hear a constantly changing and
morphing series of chugs and things that I don’t know how to describe. It’s
pretty easy to latch onto one of those repeating when it gets down in the
2-second range. That’s the best I can seem to describe it :-/

> Now take a long enough random sequence with all of its content under 200Hz or
> so filtered out by DFT. Repeat the DFT block. Can you still hear the
> repetition? By definition, there's no "bump" there, either. At least if you
> did it right.
>
>> Anyway, like I said, I’ve been through this before so there were no
>> surprises. Sampo, were you looking for a particular revelation? I’m not sure
>> if I’m listening for what you were getting at.
>
> You prolly are. You seem to know what I'm getting at in full. But if you
> think about what that means, really, it just is *really* difficult to see
> what *these* LTI implictions have to do with the *shorter* time LTI
> implications we normally work with and e.g. base our codecs on.
>
> And really, I just *love* the people of old who know about this or old,
> and/or try it out anew. :)

Haha—yeah, that’s me, old guy ;-)