That ratio looks exactly right. I suspect that you can slide along that line to optimize the time / frequency tradeoff to taste. ;)

Eric

On 09/16/2016 12:04 PM, Giulio Moro wrote:
Yup, I was asking because I found that on the M4 it is difficult to do
proper overlap and add while keeping reasonably small block sizes for
FFTs of useful length, so I was just curious whether you had to
implement threads or just went for block sizes synchronous with the FFT
step.

If I remember correctly I was using 2048 samples per block and 512
samples step, with good results.

Best,
Giulio

    *From:* Eric Brombaugh <ebrombau...@cox.net>
    *To:* music-dsp@music.columbia.edu
    *Sent:* Friday, 16 September 2016, 19:50
    *Subject:* Re: [music-dsp] Help with "Sound Retainer"/Sostenuto Effect

    Probably shouldn't reveal too much of the detail, but it likely
    comes as
    no surprise that the tradeoff between time and frequency resolution is
    critical in systems that have limited CPU horsepower. The FFTs in this
    case do run in the audio processing thread which is synchronous to the
    buffer processing rate.

    I'd love to have a go at doing this kind of stuff on something like a
    SHARC where 16kpt FFTs are apparently easy to do at audio rates...

    Eric