I'm back (sorry, it takes me a long time to finish things, too many
hobbies and not enough "free" time).

I implemented the freeverb schroeder AP section and fed it with a
short sample then cross-faded the input to be 100% feedback from the
input. The feedback was delayed the length of the sample. You can
see/download the code here:
https://github.com/ssj71/infamousPlugins/blob/33e71229025920a1a1a2521a3dcbae0869034292/src/stuck/stuck.c

I played quite a bit with the fade in of the sample, the sample
length, and the crossfade time between the input sample and the
feedback but I was not able to get satisfactory results. With long
samples (>100ms) there was potential that with a little
compression/envelope removal it could have worked but that requires a
long stable note/chord which isn't really going to work for my
application.

If anyone has the time to review the code and suggest improvements
that would be awesome, but already you've all been really helpful.
Thanks for that.

I played with the freeverb plugin and was impressed with the quality
of the freeze function, but it seems that the comb filters are
necessary for it to work well. So I'm trying to decide if my next step
is to add the comb filters and deal with the coloration (with 8 of
them in parallel it actually doesn't seem to have too deep of nulls)
or to move on to the phase vocoder method. I suppose the logical next
step is first the combs, but I thought I'd check in first just in case
any are interested.

Thanks again,
_spencer