derGraph wrote:
Nikki wrote:
I wonder where to draw the line. We should definitely not include all subnational states, but only for larger states. But should it be limited to USA and Canada? What about e.g. Russia and China?

Why is this anyway? This seems like an artefact of a long-gone time when the artist names were latinized ...

In large part it's from the bootlegs being of English artists performing in countries that aren't predominantly English. If a bootleg of an Aerosmith performance in Moscow is made and sold to people in the US, to me it makes sense to have the city + country in their English form. But if it's a Russian band being bootlegged there then it doesn't.

I've wondered what to do when you combine both of those issues. Take something like http://www.last.fm/music/Syrup16g/in+BAZLIVE+at+渋谷CLUB+ QUATRRO

If we extend that with more info and format it for MB, should it be "2002: in BAZLIVE: 渋谷CLUB QUATTRO, Tokyo, Japan" or more along the lines of "2002年・in BAZLIVE・渋谷CLUB QUATTRO・東京都・日本"? And if you move somewhere outside of Tokyo where you don't have a word like 東 京都 neatly encompassing both the city and the prefecture? If I had a bootleg of a show at Colony http://www.colony6.com/info.html "Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan" feels odd for some reason but something like "札幌市・ 北海道・日本" or even "北海道札幌市中央区・日本"doesn't.

Or should be just make this guide cover releases aimed at English markets only to make it easier to come up with a guideline? It'd help simplify matters with including subdivisions of nations, since if we do add them then they could all be in English city-division order without dealing with places that use division-city order.