On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:04:44 +0200, derGraph wrote:

Simon Reinhardt wrote:
== A Tool ==

Some explanation for the image you attached? I do not understand it. :)

As far as I understand the image it simply shows the number of mails with a common subject line over a given time. A simple graph would be more intuitive, I think (but this looks nicer). The gold and red dots mark the time when the RFC / RFV phase start, the flag displays the time when a RFV runs out.

The problem with such a graph is that quite often the subject of the discussion changes, but the subject lines of the posts don't. Therefore, this might be nice to look at, but not to be relied on.

Hmm, yes you would have to be able to merge two threads (if the graph matchs by subject).

If the graph goes by references, people would have to decide very carefully whether to reply to a specific mail, or whether to start a new thread.

Another alternative would be a real graph of the threads (with a note for each post). I have some experience with Graphviz and the dot alnguage and could help someone who wanted to code such a feature (in tow weeks or so).

Anyway this was just an idea. Maybe a very stupid (KISS) alarm clock would do the trick:

If you issue a RFC you set it to 'ring' in a week and ask what has happened. If you issue a RFV you set it to 'ring' in 48 hours and ask whether there has been a veto. If there has been one, it will 'ring' Ruaok after two weeks and ask him, whether he has made a decision, yet.

And while I agree that hacking Trac is not nice, Trac has a plugin architecture [1]. There is for example a Gantt chart plugin [2]. That's not really what we need, but it's an example.

  DonRedman

----
[1] see http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/wiki/TracPlugins
and http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/wiki/TracDev/ComponentArchitecture
[2] http://willbarton.com/code/tracgantt/trac-gantt-plugin

--
Words that are written in CamelCase refer to WikiPages:
Visit http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ the best MusicBrainz documentation around! :-)