On 2009/01/15 18:09, Vasily Stepanov <vasily.stepa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My justification: I was trying to follow KISS principal.

It's exactly the opposite: designing and implementing a brand new
protocol is complex and tedious, all but KISS.  When we finish fixing
the shortcomings of your protocol, it'll probably be RTP like, just
not compatible.

Using an existing protocol would empower MPD to do so much more than
you might have thought when you had the visualization idea.
Visualization will just be one special case then.

> Well, I found two pretty implementations of RTP:
> - ccRTP (http://www.gnu.org/software/ccrtp/) (GPL-2)
> - oRTP (http://www.linphone.org/index.php/eng/code_review/ortp) (LGPL)
>
> ccRTP has C++ headers.
> But mpd and ncmpc don't use C++, right?

Right.  If we really want, we can mix C++ into MPD/ncmpc, but I don't
think we need to.  It would make some stuff a little bit more
complicated.

> oRTP has C headers, but it has some extended features for telephony stuff.
>
> I think... despite the GNU lib, we should try oRTP first. What do you think?

Try oRTP, why not.