Alex Farber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Sun, 20 Aug 2000:
> thanks for your reply. I have read the "man fetchmail" (some
> parts where hard to understand there) and still don't know, how
> to separate my incoming mail into several files which I could
> poll with mutt.

I think you missed the part where I said "have something like procmail
or maildrop filter the emails" -- I admit I didn't emphaise it much.

The idea of unix is to have a lot of small (?) program, each doing just
one thing, but doing that one thing well.  In this situation, it applies
like this:

- fetchmail -- used to download your emails from the POP server,
  and then just passes those emails on to a "mail delivery" program
- procmail (or maildrop) -- a program for filtering emails, gets
  the emails from fetchmail and filters them according to the rules
  you've set up
- mutt -- only used for reading and browsing your emails

You see, there's a separate program for each step.  Programs such as
Netscape combine the all three into one, which is part of the reason
why they're such huge beasts.

So the reason why you couldn't figure out how to filter emails with
fetchmail was that it doesn't do mail filtering. :-)

> If save-hook isn't for separating incoming messages, what
> is its purpose in mutt then?

The purpose is to give you a default value for which mail folder to save
an email into, when you press the s key (save function) in Mutt, to
save/move a message into a different folder.

eg. when I read the mutt-users list mail, I've set up a save-hook that
will use =mutt as the default save folder.  When I press s(ave) on any
mutt-users list email, the prompt reads =mutt (which is what I usually
want there), and I can just press enter to accept the choice.  For
other kind of emails, I have different save-hooks.

Hope this helps,
Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /