On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 08:53:02PM +0200, Jesper Holmberg wrote:

> fetchmail - have you tried fetchmailconf? It allows you to graphically
> do all the settings required, not much harder than Netscape.

Easier than Netscape!  You don't need to wade through that horrid
preferences menu.  fetchmailconf is a beautiful example of an
easy-to-use graphical front-end to a very powerful (albeit narrowly
focused--a Good Thing) program.

> procmail - not much work is need to set up the things you want to get
> done. I could mail you my .procmailrc (very, very simple) if you want
> it.

The format is kind of funny looking.  Looks way more complicated than
it is.  Setting up recipes to equal Netscape's functionality is easy
if you have some examples to look at.  And then, if you ever want to
do something more, you already have the basic infrastructure.

> sendmail - have you tried postfix? It also practically works
> out-of-the-box.

Okay, so this area is kind of a pain.  I use Qmail (also easy to
configure) with Serialmail.  Works like a champ.  And nobody regrets
learning crontab (use it so that Serialmail will run at regular
intervals--and it's really pretty simple, just a matter of learning
the syntax).

There's a lot of power in having tools that do just one thing and do
it well.  For example, if something better than, say, procmail comes
out, I just plug it in where procmail was and don't have to change
anything else.  Same goes with any of the other tools in the mail
pipeline.  If I ever get bored of Mutt... (just kidding!)  Seriously,
though.  It takes more initial investment of time and learning, but
this really is a better way.

Hope you stick with it, Alex.  You've come this far.  If you need help
that's off topic for this list, you can email me directly.  I'll _try_
to help.  Happy computing!

--
Luke