On 2000-11-30 18:32:42 +0100, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> Now I'm not an expert on MIME and PGP, so I don't know who's at
> fault here. The author of the MTA I use (courier) says that MTAs
> are free to rewrite headers as necessary, while obviously it's
> causing a problem for me. I also realise that it's not really a
> mutt issue at all, so I will not pursue this issue on the mutt
> list anymore.

While MTAs are indeed free to rewrite headers as long as they are
not corrupted, they are _not_ free to rewrite bodies.  Technically,
nested MIME headers are part of the body, and _not_ part of the
header.

See also RFC 1847:

   The entire contents of the multipart/signed container must be
   treated as opaque while it is in transit from an originator to a
   recipient. Intermediate message transfer agents must not alter
   the content of a multipart/signed in any way, including, but not
   limited to, changing the content transfer encoding of the body
   part or any of its encapsulated body parts.

Please also note that this does not only affect PGP/MIME, but S/MIME
and MOSS as well.

--
Thomas Roessler                         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>