On 2000-12-02 10:43:07 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>>> Sendmail has been rewriting 8bit to quoted-printable content
>>> for decades, when relaying 8bit mail to 7bit-only relays.

>> First of all, sendmail has of course not done that "from the
>> beginning", since it's considerably older than MIME.  That MIME

> Sorry to confuse you with facts, but the entire purpose behind
> sendmail's creation was to be able to push mail between widely
> dissimilar systems that used widely different mail formats.

Oh yes, of course, it has been rewriting 8bit to quoted-printable
"for decades", which was your original claim - see above.  You may
wish to notice that quoted-printable hasn't been specified before
the early nineties.  Maybe you try to get _your_ facts straight.

> A small quote from the Oreilly book
> (http://www.bigmouse.net/literature/Oreilly/sendmail/prf1_02.htm):

>    Responding to these and other changes, Eric evolved
>    delivermail into sendmail. To ensure that messages transferred
>    between networks would obey the conventions required by those
>    networks, Eric took a "liberal" approach - modifying address
>    information to conform, rather than rejecting it. At the time,
>    for example, UUCP mail often had no headers at all, so
>    sendmail had to create them from scratch.

> Facts can be a stubborn thing, heh?  Sendmail has been rewriting
> messages for years -- yes, "from the beginning" -- even before
> MIME came into being.  MIME is just a modern standard for
> rewriting mail in today's environment.

You may wish to notice that there is a difference between rewriting
headers (which sendmail has been doing for a long time), and between
messing around with the mail body.

>> rewriting stuff is a rather new invention,

> No it's not.

Of course not - when you rip things out of context.

> Anything that requires mail to be delivered from point A to point
> B with its headers intact is a completely broken protocol.

This is ridiculous.  One could, just as well, argue that any
protocol which isn't even able to transport messages without messing
around with them is broken.

>>> Bottom line: RFC 1847 is broken.  It breaks several decades'
>>> worth of established mail protocols and conventions.

>> This is nonsense.  Please try getting a clue about e-mail
>> standards before you start coding.

> Well, then, Einstein, go ahead and code up a mail server, to show
> me how.

Why should I?  There are nicely working MTAs which (1) don't ignore
the relevant specifications and (2) whose authors do have a clue.
Try looking at sendmail, postfix, or qmail for reference.

--
Thomas Roessler                         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>