On 2000-12-02 14:42:52 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>> Why should I?  There are nicely working MTAs which (1) don't
>> ignore the relevant specifications and (2) whose authors do
>> have a clue. Try looking at sendmail, postfix, or qmail for
>> reference.

> Sorry to confuse you with facts, but even in this day and age
> sendmail does MIME conversion, as qmail is not a MIME-compliant
> MTA, so that's a red herring.  Sendmail:

*snip*

Maybe we should stop mutual insults and come back to the facts which
are, actually, quite straight and simple:

- RFC 1847 requires mail user agents to create messages in a way
  which makes sure that no conversions will be necessary.

- RFC 1847 explicitly forbids such conversions, and any other
  changes to the contents of a multipart/mixed body part.

- RFC 1847 is a standards track document (currently PROPOSED
  STANDARD).

- You have choosen not to adhere by that standard - your reasos for
  that actually don't interest me that much.

As a consequence, your MTA is BROKEN, and should better only be used
in toy environments.

--
Thomas Roessler                         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>