At  1:15 AM EST on March  7 Will Yardley sent off:
> Sven Guckes wrote:
> >
> > mutt does not strive to be popular with everyone.  after all, all
> > those bad mailers were written to *fit* some people - and they
> > certainly do!  so dont take them away from those - they deserve it!
>
> i think this statement is a bit elitist.... simply because a tool is
> powerful doesn't mean that it can't also be fairly easy to use.  it can
> be overwhelming to be faced with all that power at once; however that
> doesn't mean that the tool isn't still worth using.

Whether or not any of us are elitist, don't we all encounter times when *we're*
frustrated by the problems with the other person's MUA?  PGP/GPG is the biggest
one, I think.  If everyone else used mutt, the problem *might* go away.  OK,
I'm being optimistic, but I don't see any point in complaining about lack of
PGP/MIME, or full quoting under the reply, or persistent HTML mails, and then
not encouraging the perpetrators to use something better.

> i was thinking about this in the car tonight, and i realized that
> (AFAIK) there isn't a simple interactive command line program to help
> new users adjust to / configure mutt.
>
> such a program could easily be written as a shell script or a perl
> script... and could be included in the mutt distribution, or in the
> contrib/ directory.

I vote for python, simply because perl can get unreadable.  It may not matter
since I doubt anything too complicated is necessary.

> it could also ask if the user is used to other programs (ie pine) and
> offer to make the keybindings more familiar.

or emacs/the eVIl one.  On the other hand, there's a case for not letting
newbies switch mass keybindings around.  As it is, I've seen some
misunderstandings on this list along the lines of

Q> How do I do X?
A> Press Ctrl-h.
Q> But that does Y!
(where Y could be "rm -f *" or "<launch_nuclear_missiles>", available from an
obscure patch.)
A> It works for me!
Q> But not for me!
B> One of you is using nonstandard keybindings, and forgot.
Q> Oh yeah.

I think it's better to make newbies switch keybindings one at a time, and to
make them do the work themselves so that they're aware of the consequences.

> it might also look at environment variables and the answers to previous
> questions in order to give sensible default choices (ie if $MAIL is set
> to /var/mail/william, that's probably a good choice for 'mbox'; if
> ~~/mail exists but ~/Mail doesn't, setting folder to ~/mail is probably a
> good idea;

This is really important.  It could also look in ~/.procmailrc for all 2
netscape/pine users that use procmail ;-).  Maybe /etc/sendmail.cf could be
parsed to find out where it puts mail for ${USER}?

> if $EDITOR or $VISUAL is set to nano, then perhaps 'nano -t'
> would be the default selection offered for 'editor').

Why not just $VISUAL if running-X, else $EDITOR?

--
* THREENYM: Referring to someone by the first letter of their three names.
  Used by some people (RMS and ESR), but not others (has anybody ever