* Shawn McMahon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-04-29 15:43]:
> begin  darren chamberlain quotation:
> > * Marco Fioretti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-04-29 13:52]:
> > > Last but not least: what was that JAVA applet called anyway?
> >
> > I think you're looking for MindTerm, which google tells me is at
> > <http://www.appgate.com/ag.asp?template=products&level1=product_mindterm>.
>
> However, FYI, a Java telnet isn't going to do what Marco wants.

yeah, but that's what he asked for. ;)

> If his company only lets http through the firewall, then running a Java
> telnet on his home system will give him a nice Java applet running on
> his side of the firewall, no more able to connect to his home system
> than a telnet written in any other language.

True.  I think what he meant was some sort of java app that can run on
the server side (i.e., behind the firewall) and connect out to his
machine on the other side, since outgoing traffic is usually less
restricted than incoming traffic.  What he *really* wants here is
something to kick off a port-forwarding ssh on the internal side that
will allow him to log into a box behind the firewall.

> Sounds like he needs some kind of http-based proxy, unless the firewall
> is dumb enough to let non-http things through port 80, in which case I'd
> recommend ssh.

If the company lets through port 80, they probably also let through port
443; run an sshd on port 443 (all encrypted traffic looks the same, but
encrypted traffic going through port 80 will look suspicious -- assuming
someone is looking at the streams going through the firewall), and
you've got yourself an instant hole in the firewall.

This is one of the principle reasons why firewalls are ineffective, BTW.

(darren)

--
Freedom is an all-or-nothing proposition:  either we are completely
free, or we are subjects of a tyrannical system.  If we lose one