Jan

> I don't know about synaptic. But using "apt-get install mutt"
> exim4 was installed automatically with mutt on my sytem. i was using exim
>
> what should I learn from this? better building mutt from the source?

{Using Ubuntu 8.04
I wanted to use mutt for coping with my mail for three email gmail
accounts... mostly lists and  yahoogroups for classic cars and other
interests.}

a] re: exim I don't think so! On my main PC [as opposed to my test PC
which is where i'm trying out mutt first] Exim is a DEFAULT install.
>From synaptic mutt installs without any dependencies which i was
surprised at. Why the default install? i don't know - i wondered if it
was for evolution [the default email client but doesn't seem to be].

b] As i'm still trying to learn from much reading - what is the
difference between?
sssmtp [simple solution includes SSL]
nbsmtp ['no-brainer' includes SSL
esmtp [poor documentation not SSL
msmtp [supports multiple accounts and SSL]

Due to supporting multiple accounts it seems msmtp is the choice for
me as it offers multiple account support. None of these will support
queuing from what i can gather. As i'm intending to use gmail SSL is
required... i don't know but i gathered that emails can be lost
without SSL e.g yahoo only use port 110 and 25.

c] As i want to filter email to subject directories [maildir] i need
to use postfix or maildrop. For a newbie the Postfix seems easier to
set up or i can't find a decent doc on maildrop.

Be grateful if you could comment on my deliberations!!

thanks
james