hello,
i was surprised to read that mutt can handle smtp-sending on its own now.
because i also had to fiddle with msmtp (which is rather simple).

> So just install mutt on it's own - there don't seem to be any
> dependencies according to synaptic.

I don't know about synaptic. But using "apt-get install mutt"
exim4 was installed automatically with mutt on my sytem. i was using exim
after quite an effort to configure it for weeks until i noticed that
there were subtle authentifaction issues and *some* of my outgoing mail was
refused by the smtp-server with my exim4 seemingly freezing the bounces so
that i never got a hint of there being a problem.

I switched to msmtp and now it works. everything would have been a lot simpler
had i known about mutts smtp feature.

what should I learn from this? better building mutt from the source?

jan