On Sunday, February 15 at 06:41 PM, quoth James Freer:
>a] re: exim I don't think so! On my main PC [as opposed to my test PC
>which is where i'm trying out mutt first] Exim is a DEFAULT install.
>From synaptic mutt installs without any dependencies which i was
>surprised at. Why the default install? i don't know - i wondered if it
>was for evolution [the default email client but doesn't seem to be].

I think exim is part of the default install for historical reasons.
Some older pieces of unix software assume that there is a queueing
sendmail program available, and so exim is there to support them.

>b] As i'm still trying to learn from much reading - what is the
>difference between?
>sssmtp [simple solution includes SSL]
>nbsmtp ['no-brainer' includes SSL
>esmtp [poor documentation not SSL
>msmtp [supports multiple accounts and SSL]

Not a clue; but I'd either recommend using mutt's built-in smtp
support OR msmtp (because msmtp was designed specifically for mutt
users, and like you said, supports multiple accounts).

>None of these will support queuing from what i can gather.

Indeed; if you want a queue, try something like nullmailer
(http://untroubled.org/nullmailer).

>As i'm intending to use gmail SSL is required... i don't know but i
>gathered that emails can be lost without SSL e.g yahoo only use port
>110 and 25.

Email, due to spammers, has gotten more finicky, yes.

>c] As i want to filter email to subject directories [maildir] i need
>to use postfix or maildrop. For a newbie the Postfix seems easier to
>set up or i can't find a decent doc on maildrop.

You mean procmail, not postfix, right? Procmail *APPEARS* easier, but
has some massive problems with error handling (see
http://www.memoryhole.net/kyle/2008/06/i_hate_procmail.html). Not that
they can't be worked around, it's just a pain, and easy to
accidentally lose email.

For maildrop documentation, have you checked out
http://www.courier-mta.org/maildropex.html ?

~Kyle
- --
No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people
on your side that you wish were on the other.
                                                      -- Jascha Heifetz