* Noah Sheppard <nhshepp...@taylor.edu> [2009-09-23 14:44 -0400]:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 02:37:21PM -0400, James Michael Fultz
> wrote:
[ ... ]
> > Try less and 'col -b manual.txt | less' if the former doesn't
> > display cleanly.  The col command will strip embedded
> > backspace sequences.
>
> That worked, thanks for the tip (although col complained
> "Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character").  Also,
> when I zcat the downloaded gz, and run it through col, I get
> truncated at exactly the same point (right after "Mutt is
> Copyright").  If, however, I zcat the file directly to less
> without col, everything displays correctly, with the bolding,
> and in its entirety, all the way to the end of chapter 10.

$ zcat manual.txt.gz | col -b | less

Works fine here -- Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit.  Maybe there's a bug in
your version col?  Could be a hint here as to the state of the
uncompressed copy of 'manual.txt' on the server.

Hmm.  Does appear that some versions of col don't handle UTF-8.
For example:
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=319952>

A workaround appears to be to use 'col -bxp'.

> Perhaps there is some character in manual.txt which is causing
> truncation somewhere, perhaps server-side, or perhaps in wget,
> less, and firefox (for the uncompressed manual.txt).  Maybe
> some library on our systems common to all those which does not
> like some special character?  Just a guess.

I think that the file as it is saved on the server is truncated.
I would also chance to guess that col is used to process it, and
the same bug or a similar bug to the one you've experienced
affects it there as well.