On 23.03.13 12:40, Chris Green wrote:
> Well I first actually tried it and saw no blank line.
>
> I've now looked throught my archive (1845 mailboxes) and most of them,
> saved with mutt, using S[ave], seem *not* to have a blank line either.
> There are some with blank lines between but I suspect that's because of
> migrating back and forth between various formats quite a lot over the
> years.

That is weird, because I'm using:
   Mutt 1.5.21+145 (2a1c5d3dd72e) (2012-12-30)
but have used a whole string of older mutts over the years. And I've
never made (or heard of) a related config setting which could explain
the behavioural difference.

> Certainly my current mutt 1.5.21 doesn't put a blank line in there and
> it's quite standard from the Ubuntu repositories (though I suppose they
> *might* have done something funny to it).

So your mailboxes, viewed in vim or similar, have the /^From / line
immediately following the last non-blank line of the previous message!!?
That's something I've never seen ... in decades, mostly with mutt.

I've just run the script on a set of 387 mailboxes exclusively written
by mutt (in the last few years, right up to tonight). Absolutely all of
the 11542 messages are separated by blank lines.

Maybe your mutt has indeed been ubuntued.

Erik

--
If society fits you comfortably enough, you call it freedom.
                                             - Robert Frost