Some people have looked at the manual's, yes, and it's pretty simple to
determine when they have.  If the question they ask can be copied/pasted
into the mysql documention search and get the answer, then the person has
not checked the documentation.  Sometimes people miss things in the
documentation, this is ok also.  However, most of the time, people just
don't LOOK at the documentation.  I see the same questions asked over and
over again on this list, and most of the time the answers given are quotes
from the documentation, and the people accept those answers.

The MySQL manual is written very well IMHO (and there's no bias here, I am
in no way connected to the MySQL dev team except as an end user).  Perhaps
if you find a section hard to read, maybe bring that up?  I'm sure the
maintainers of the manual hang out on here (I believe Sasha is one), and I
also don't think I'm far off in thinking they would love to have suggestions
on how to improve the manual.  Then again you could just purchase a support
license or even get a MySQL book (several good ones out there), try to get
one that concentrates on MySQL and the programming language of your choice.

The intelligent comment isn't acurate though.  I think the problem here is
more the people who refuse to look for themselves to find the answers, and
instead just bring the question directly to the list (some subscribing just
long enough to post).  This list's subscribers probably varies greatly in
users experience/knowledge.  I myself am only 20 years old and don't have
the experience of others.  But when I bring a question to the list, I try to
make sure I've exhausted every avenue I have myself for finding the answer.
Simply because the others on this list have things to do on their own time,
and don't need to be troubled by a question I have.

To sum up, if you have a hard time figuring things out, and need to ask a
question, that's fine with me.  However, if you simply don't want to take
the time to look and want to fire off a quick E-Mail to the list asking a
question that is very clearly answered in the manual, then I think your
being inconsiderate of others.

Eric Fitzgerald
Server Administrator
AMN Television Marketing