Hi,

May I offer a bit of distraction and an idea?

Below might draw flames of (browse the site), but I like databases because
they turn me on....

I am a recovering micsofrot addict. WHEW! It feels good to get that off my
chest. I am also a Linux newbie (Since 12-00) and am exploring MySQL. I have
an idea/question about MySQL as regards web interfacing. Is there an existing
Perl/PHP/Java/Beans/Alkaloid something web-enabled database that serves to
capture user questions in a STRUCTURED format? The semi-free-for-all text
entry makes for uncentralized answer capture.  I do see merit in mailing
lists, and it's fast, but a single point of search/repository (bandwidth
issues aside) could be a tremendous frustration deflation and inspiration
(DF&I).

Now, before I sound as if I know anything, I confess I am NOT a programmer.
Some people don't know Jack. I don't know C! My databasing skills root from
Lotus Approach (since 1992), some Borland Paradox (next to 0 Corel Pdx), and
Omnis Studio and some FileMaker in there. I have looooonged for a web-enabled
database and might have found it in Omnis, but I don't know. I hope I can see
MySQL stomp the corporate breath out a certain somecompany's offerings (not
talkin' 'bout Oracle), and maybe that'll happen given the Linux credibility
enhancements in the slowly waking industry. Now, I can conceptualize or
visualize, but I am NOT a coder. I even loath scripts. I don't mind macros.
But I'd prefer intricate joins and and fairly filled screen-sized forms and
tabs such to lots of code. But, I know I am missing out on the ability to make
field boxes or their text change colors based on field value or make calendar
widgets, etc. Such is life for me.

My suggestions for a web enabled database are that it is as far as possible
unlike those labyrinthian, nauseating, tile-o-rama that the Oracle developers
& consultants seem to endear. At least where I work, there are a dizzying
number of Java/interface panels and it royally pangs me to see this all in the
name of differentiating SDI/MDI/ desktop/server client server models by
blitzing us users with idiotic, inane numbers of panels upon panels. It's
sheer madness.

Can someone list me a few good 'front-ends'/pretty faces to use over MySQL? I
saw a name and like an idiot didn't write it down. I have a fantasy that MySQL
will stomp Oracle in a few good places.

Encapsulization:

Will there be a central repository for MySQL Q&A on the Web and can somebody
list me some good, newbie-friendly Linux-based faces to put on top of MySQL?

Best Regards,

rmdirms