I agree with Jeremy and Colin.
Its one thing to add functionalities, in terms of modules and
interfaces, but adding to the core program is limited in it
practicality, because it will just slow down execution or load-time
or both. This penalizes users who don't happen to need the
capabilities that you want added, and those who find that their old
hardware is suddenly made inadequate by the latest upgrade.

This has been one of my long-standing complaints with Microsoft. One
of my favorite Microsoft programs was the Cardfile that came with
Win3.1. That funcftionality got incorporated into Outlook, but
Outlook was a clumsy monstrosity by comparison, slow to load, too
many steps to get at what you want, and I couldn't have multiple
copies in memory with different lists on them. I still have Cardfile,
but now, Win98 won't let me have more than one copy in memory. This
is not progress; this is an imposition. I would rather see smaller
seperate programs better integrated with each other, instead of a few
clumsy monster, do-everything, programs.

On 22 Feb 2001, at 23:39, Jeremy D. Zawodny wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 08:26:08AM +0100, Gorjan Todorovski wrote: > >
> To Ed: Why be so negative about adding new features to the DB >
> server? Why not make things easier and make the DB more flexible by >
> supporting more standards for TRANSPORTING data.
>
> I'm not Ed, but...
>
> The answer is simple: it doesn't belong as a core service in the
> database server [in the opinions of several folks, including Ed].
>
> As an add-on tool, sure. If someone writes a tool which turns MySQL
> data into some XML format on the fly, great. Or maybe the logic can be
> integrated into the client libraries. But I really don't think that
> the mysqld process show know how to do it.
>
> Then again, it wouldn't be HARD to do. I just hope then if it happens,
> it is a compile-time default so that I can disable it on my servers.
> :-)
>
> Jeremy
> --
> Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance
> Desk: (408) 328-7878    Fax: (408) 530-5454
> Cell: (408) 439-9951

John Jensen
520 Goshawk Court
Bakersfield, CA 93309