I guess this is a DB list, but I strongly disagree with Johan's suggestion to
avoid using Views or Taxonomy. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages in
most cases.

-----Original Message-----
From: vegiv...@gmail.com [mailto:vegiv...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Johan De
Meersman
Sent: 21 April 2010 15:44
To: shamu...@gmail.com
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: More CPU or More RAM?

Switch CMSes, you'll be better off. I have the pain of running Drupal, too.

Your DB host is probably good enough, unless you're doing insane amounts of
page views. What you need is Drupal optimisations. Here's just a few:

 - drupal keeps both it's sessions and cache in the DB. Change to memcache
 - the views module is horrible. Get rid of it and write your own queries
 - for pete's sake don't turn on the watchdog module, especially on debug.
That, too goes in your db
 - avoid taxonomy - it does evil hiearchical queries

et cetera ad nauseam :-)

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn