Thanks Perrin,

My web server is on the same box as the database server.

I tried to use a mysql tuning-primer.sh to evaluate my server. and the
result for key_buffer is

KEY BUFFER
Current MyISAM index space = 181 M
Current key_buffer_size = 128 M
Key cache miss rate is 1 : 12507
Key buffer free ratio = 73 %
Your key_buffer_size seems to be too high.
Perhaps you can use these resources elsewhere
for TEMP TABLES

TEMP TABLES
Current max_heap_table_size = 128 M
Current tmp_table_size = 128 M
Of 19206 temp tables, 31% were created on disk
Perhaps you should increase your tmp_table_size and/or max_heap_table_size
to reduce the number of disk-based temporary tables
Note! BLOB and TEXT columns are not allow in memory tables.
If you are using these columns raising these values might not impact your
ratio of on disk temp tables.

this 31% really caught my eye.