Also, have some munin plugins. There are the ones I add to the ones in a
standard munin distribution, and give plenty of info.

Only the mysql_ one is actually mine, I got the rest off muninexchange.
Guess I should incorporate their functionality into mine sometime.

A good look at the data that comes out of these (and an understanding of how
MySQL works, of course) will tell you what's up, what's happened and where
to tune.