On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Nima <nima....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I'd like to install MySQL on an embedded system. It's a powerful x86-based
> computer with the only limitation of having a small-size flash ROM as its
> secondary storage.
> I tried installing MySQL from source which resulted in occupying 140 MB of
> disk space, while the maximum amount of flash memory I'm permitted to use is
> about 20-30 MB. So I'm wondering how to go about slimming MySQL down to the
> bare minimum. Following is the list of directories at the root of the
> installation directory:
> * bin/
> * include/
> * lib/
> * libexec/
> * mysql-test/
> * share/
> * sql-bench/
>
> I think removing the 'include', 'mysql-test' and 'sql-bench' directories may
> be a good start, but I'm still far away from having a tiny little mysql!
>
> BTW, I tried MySQL Embedded, but it seems that it doesn't meet our needs.
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated :)
>
> *-- Nima Mohammadi*

Have you considered SQLite?

You probably want to compile your own version of MySQL. You probably
want to remove debugging symbols* (which have been present since the
mid 5.0 series, iirc), and any engines/character sets/etc you don't
need.

*Alternatively you can run the strip command.

--
Rob Wultsch
wult...@gmail.com