Hi!

Nima Mohammadi wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Rob Wultsch <wult...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [[...]]
>>
>> You probably want to compile your own version of MySQL. You probably
>> want to remove debugging symbols* (which have been present since the
>> mid 5.0 series, iirc), and any engines/character sets/etc you don't
>> need.
>>
>> *Alternatively you can run the strip command.
>>
>> --
>> Rob Wultsch
>> wult...@gmail.com
>>

> [[...]]
> I guess for removing debug symbols I need to add the "--without-debug"
> option to the ./configure command. I think using these options would also be
> helpful:
>
>    - --without-man
>    - --without-docs

This will affect the package size, but not the individual binary.

>    - --without-ipv6
>    - --disable-largefile

"largefile" shouldn't have a big effect on size, but in a tiny embedded
system you probably really don't need it.

> I'm not sure which engine we're going to use, so I'll have to defer this to
> another time.

The engine will be quite important, stripping all engines you don't need
will have the largest effect on size.

> Is there any other work I could do to strip MySQL?

Check the character sets you configure, get rid of those you don't need.

You might look into compiler options optimizing for space rather than
for speed, but I hope you are not that much limited by your system.

If you want to run client/server as separate binaries, you can use
"--without-embedded". However, I guess linking the server part to the
application will have a big effect on space requirements, so you really
should look into that.

Are you using version 5.1 or 5.5 ?

Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  joerg.bru...@sun.com
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG,   Komturstrasse 18a,   D-12099 Berlin