Monty et al and fellow list people,

I've been following this thread with interest for the last couple days, have read all
the postings (unfortunate flames included), and my opinion has generally been: "well,
there's been an unfortunate break down in communication between MySQL and NuSphere,
I'm sure it's just a mis-understanding, and it'll get sorted out amicably soon."

Then I actually went and looked at the mysql.org site.

Now I find I must strongly agree with what Andy Wooley wrote:

At 15:05 +0100 2001/07/15, Andy Woolley wrote:
>The impression I get from the .org site, is that they are promoting a
>product called MySQL, and that MySQL AB (found at mysql.com) is a different
>product all together. This, is in my opinion is simply not on.
>
>I have been using MySQL for many years and I am now wondering if there
>actually is a difference between MySQL and MySQL AB simply because mysql.org
>are implying such a fact. Their web site is also giving me the impression
>that they are responsible for the development of MySQL.I know Nusphere have
>given both time and money to the development of MySQL but I really don't
>think it quite justifies building a web site with the intention of deceiving
>users that may not know the full history of MySQL.
>
>I'm no lawyer but I would say that the content on mysql.org is very
>misleading and should be changed, pronto.

I got very much the same impression.

Let me expand a bit...

1. it makes sense for an 'Open Source' project to have a .org TLD, many of them do.

2. on the Home page it says:
 - its a "center for free downloads, information and communication,
   as well as all the files you need to build applications based on
   MySQL, the #1 open source database."

 - "mySQL.org offers easy access to the best binaries and source
   available to database programmers."

 - "For those willing to help maintain the code, documentation,
   or support resources, please email [EMAIL PROTECTED]"

 - "For those of you interested in getting other sites or books added
   to our list of MySQL resources, please send email to
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Then, at the bottom, it says that it's not affiliated with some company called 'MySQL
AB.'

Nowhere does it say that 'MYSQL AB' *is* MySQL: the company that has created,
developed, promoted, and is the *owner* of the MySQL database engine. It looks very
much like 'MySQL AB' is some other company that happens to have a similar name,
especially considering that most people will know it simply as MySQL, not by the
formal 'MySQL AB.'

So it would be very easy for a recent arrival to assume that mysql.org is *the* MySQL
site -- there's really nothing telling them otherwise.

The creators of the mysql.org site did not go to any effort to make the situation
clear -- on the contrary, it seems to step very carefully *around* mentioning that
MySQL is someone else's property.

Something like this doesn't happen by accident and, legal-babble aside, these are,
quite simply, not the actions of one who's respectful of other's work and property,
and not the actions of one who's dedicated to open communication and a win/win
partnership. I find it dishonourable.

It leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

/Robert Alexander

Ob. MySQL content:
database, sql, query, table

Robert Alexander    ~~   Programmer/Analyst/DBA/Admin
WWW Database Applications    ~~    http://www.ra1.net
Web Software and Hosting   ~~  http://www.workmate.ca

"The edifice of civil rights has degenerated into a
 naked spoils system. ... laws have come close to
 outlawing undesired thought. The iron rule of
 political correctness has distinct resemblance to
 Soviet-style social control. Much of this is imposed
 less by the official government than by the meta-
 government of academia, media, and Hollywood. Yet
 it's there."      -- Fred Reed