>Claudio Cicali ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> - where I work, we have a HUGE database-driven web-application. A lot of
>    our businness logic is implemented via stored procedures, that
>    act as black boxes for the web-designers.
>    Think of enterprise java beans.
>    They are not "nonsense" or such. They are usefull.
>    (I know, you can use ejb with JDBS and mysql..., but if you want to
have
>    some logic incapsualted, you should use some kind of "component")
> - sp extends the RDBMS itself in its functionality. Think about some
stupid
>    "check_fiscal_code()" or "insert_new_customer()".
>    Web designers use the "insert_new_customer", instead of using SQL
>    directly.

I have found that the same thing can be achieved using a middle layer like
XML-RPC or SOAP. This also allows business logic to appear closer to native
functions in your web programming language than still having to use SQL. For
example, if you use mod_perl, you can just call 'insert_new_customer()' from
perl and this gets transmorgified across XML-RPC to a transaction in the
database with very little extra code.

Ive been thinking/working on this problem for a while and it seems that
there are 2 major issues:

1. Ability to create arbitrary functions in some language X.
2. Ability for arbitrary function to call back into the database.

Problem 1 is pretty straightforward. I've even put a patch for an older
version of mysql up at http://www.tanisconsulting.com/mysql-perl.html that
creates a language 'plugin' architecture and implements perl for starters.
( python would be easy, as would javascript or lisp etc.. I just happen to
be a perl hacker )

Problem 2 is not, or at least I havent come up with a good, non-intrusive
way to accomplish it yet.

dpk