Well I would try to leave that up to the people who want to be involved.
But I would say that a good place to start might be here:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/O/TODO_future.html

Speeding up the backlog of little things as priority over the major
structural changes, which IMHO are away from MySQL's original fast +
simplicity focus.

Also to perhaps focus more on speed and optimizations.

And/or to focus on installation and usage issues for beginners (remember
that # of web sites will double every year or soemthing like that).  This
is very inline with the focus of my other business, CoolPage.com (web page
creation for beginners), so I can deliver massive traffic to such a
product, and instant profitability.  If coolpage.com did a wysiwyg
interface to the DB then we could sell them like hot pancakes. :-)

I want to see what other people want to do first.  The proposal is fluid.