On Thu, 2001-11-08 at 23:42, DownloadFAST.com wrote:

> Just so you know I am not blowing wind on possible speed enchancement,
> please let me add that one of my former talents was assembler code.  Not to
> blow my own horn, but simply to state as fact relevant here, I was able to
> speed up Painter's core paint routines by perhaps 30 - 50%.  So although
> algorithmic changes are usually the largest wins, that is an example one
> possible way to try to get more speed on some crucial indexing routines
> perhaps.
>
> I'd have to dig into the source before I could say specifically.
>
> Then again right now, my personal focus is simply to get some refinements
> more quickly and with less politics.

I guess my main concern is that it seems like your main reason for
forking is political disagreement with developers, and making the code
better is only a secondary reason.  If that's the case, I respect your
decision, but I think the best solution for the end users would be to
work out your differences of opinion and try to work together.  If your
goals are too far different from the MySQL project's goals, then of
course maybe a fork is the only good solution.

However, I haven't seen anything in your reasoning that would be
contrary to the goals of the MySQL developers.  On the other hand, MySQL
is known for being fast, and for being easy to use for beginning users.
I'd like to see what specific refinements you're talking about -- the
main reason for version 4.0 is to allow a lot of the features that are
on the TODO list.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, I'm just not quite convinced yet and
would like to hear more from you about your reasoning and justification
for forking the code, as opposed to contributing to the main MySQL code
(even if it is in the 3.23 branch).

Steve Meyers