Just so you know I am not blowing wind on possible speed enchancement,
please let me add that one of my former talents was assembler code.  Not to
blow my own horn, but simply to state as fact relevant here, I was able to
speed up Painter's core paint routines by perhaps 30 - 50%.  So although
algorithmic changes are usually the largest wins, that is an example one
possible way to try to get more speed on some crucial indexing routines
perhaps.

I'd have to dig into the source before I could say specifically.

Then again right now, my personal focus is simply to get some refinements
more quickly and with less politics.