Check /var/lib/mysql/<hostname>.err and permissions in that directory.
Does the mysql user have the permission to write on that directory ?

You you don't have the log error (it's very strange if you don't...), i
think safe_mysqld has the option --err-log=<filename> (but, by default,
it should be there).
I'm not shure of this, i'm just giving some ideas.

--
dsoares
(sql)