Hey,

A lot of problems with web site to DB connections come from 2 things. I assume you meant 12.5 mega"BITS" per second.

1) Over using a database when you don't need to, when you can just as well create semi-static pages that get updated by the db on a regular basis (as needed).

2) The database queries (or tables) are not optimized to return the data you are looking for in a timely manner.

Since you know your select queries - make sure you are using indexes. We have a site that averages about 50 to 60 queries per second during peak and they are mostly Updates. Just by optimizing the queries and the database tables, we were able to dramatically diminish the load and query times (nothing in the slow query log with a slow query being >5 seconds)

Hope this helps

Eric Lamendola
Slingo Inc.