Hi.

On Thu 2002-10-31 at 11:35:56 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >Sorry, I do not have much experience with MySQL on Suns (at least not
> >in pushing it to the limits). On an Athlon 700Mhz selecting 10000
> >random rows out of 60000, I get over 330MB/sec (1000 queries/sec) on
> >localhost and about 5.5MB/sec via a 100MBit TCP connection using the
> >mysql command line client like this:
>
> this helps A LOT. MySQL doesn't have to be on the Sun Box. What OS
> where you using?

Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (kernel 2.4.16).

> We could put MySQL on a Windows box. I don't know that I could
> convince them to put it on a Linux box though.

In this case, I would go with the Sun box.

Taking into account what has been said meanwhile (I started my first
mail over an hour ago and was then interrupted), the bandwidth
bottleneck has become clear.

I am not sure whether going to a Gigibit card is such a good idea.
AFAIK, it's hard to saturate such a card via the standard PCI bus.

IMHO, the far more scalable way (and you made clear that you need to
scale) is to go with several servers and replication, especially since
your application seems to heavily based on reads. Since the database
itself needs so few resources, I would consider putting the
replication slave and the webserver on the same box.

This has the advantage that you have no bandwidth bottleneck between
the webserver and its database (the slave) and you need to scale your
webserver anyhow, since the pages you send out will hit the 100Mbit
limit the same way, I presume.

If you can convince them to go with Linux, you can relatively easy set
up several such boxes for a moderate price.

Regards,

        Benjamin.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]