On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 14:45, Darney Lampert wrote:
> Sorry continue this subject ... I´m the author original question, "LEGAL
> information about MySQL".
> But I Think that my question is simple and the other answers do not make
> sense to me.
> I never said that I change original MySQL source code, and I just want know
> if I can use MySQL database on
> my comercial application without pay for it. My application ONLY access MySQL.

Our basic answer is No. If you ship MySQL (server or client) with a
commercial (non opensource) application you should pay.

> I develop a program with Delphi with access MySQL database. I'll sell my
> program, and ONLY give a copy of MySQL to the users, or indicate the place
> to download to them.
>
> Does my client need to pay a license to MySQL AB?

Not, it actually you who need to pay in this case. Or you can
distribute with source code (just like we do!).

> Other case:
> I develop a web-site with PHP wich access MySQL database to a client who
> paid for it. The users do not need to install MySQL. Does anybody need to
> pay something? Who? (Remember that my Web Server just run PHP and MySQL,
> wich are free. My site (wich is paid) uses the services provided by the
> web-server)

In this case there is not distribution so no fee is needed. We would
like to be paid in this case also but there is legal requirement for a
license if you do not distribute.

But we would like every one who uses MySQL for commercial services to
pay for support!

> In this case, does my client, the web-server or I need to pay a license to
> MySQL AB?

No, as explained above.

The GPL kicks in when you *distribute* and then you can either
distribute all (including your) source code or buy a commercial license
from us.

> Please, just wellfounded answers, not personal opinions.

I am the licensing guru for MySQL AB and one of the founders.

/David
MySQL Co-Founder