I've been using MySQL and PHP for a while in a shared hosting environment, but recently we shifted to a co-located server, so I am new to administering mysqld.

Periodically our PHP sites will fail to connect using mysql_pconnect(). We currently have three sites on the colo box (two more are waiting on shared hosting until I can solve this problem) and they all fail at once. mysqld is still running, though. If I shut down mysqld and restart, they are able to connect again. This makes me think the problem is with how I have MySQL configured. However, nothing useful is being logged anywhere in the /var/log heirarchy, so I can't figure out what's going wrong.

Here's the configuration:
MySQL Ver 12.21 Distrib 4.0.14, for pc-linux (i686)
PHP 4.3.2
Red Hat 9.0

I am starting MySQLd with "mysqld_safe --user=mysql --bind-address=127.0.0.1". I don't have a my.conf file, so I seem to be running with defaults.

It's hard to get a picture of what's happening right before these lockups, but when I look after a lockup, load on the server doesn't appear to be an issue. (I haven't seen load average go over .50 except during the initial fcheck run, and most of the time it's 0.00.)

I have some mysql "status" snapshots from before and after a lockup. I've also been running mytop thanks to a suggestion on this list yesterday. If anyone thinks that information would be helpful, I can supply them.

Thanks for anything that might give me a toehold on this problem.

pjm