On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, at 10:03 US/Eastern, Parker Morse wrote:
On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, at 01:27 US/Eastern, Antony Dovgal wrote:
Please, read http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.persistent-connections.php
I recommend you not to use *_pconnect. There are some big problems with persistent connections and these problems are 'by design'.
Use SQLrelay if you need real connection pooling.
In your case MySQL probably says 'too many connections' and you can catch this error message if you'll turn on error_log in php.ini.

That sounds like a plausible explanation - by restarting mysqld I'd be closing all the open connections, admittedly the hard way.

I've changed the mysql_pconnect() calls to mysql_connect(), and I'm reading up in the manual. I don't understand all of it yet, which should probably tell me to stick to mysql_connect! Meanwhile, I'll see if I have any more failures using mysql_connect.

No, it turns out this is not the key. With mysql_connect() I'm actually failing MORE often than with mysql_pconnect - so far it hasn't stayed up 15 minutes without error. (Fortunately, I have a cron job checking on it and restarting.)

I have error_log turned on in php.ini, but there's nothing at the specified path. Likewise, the mysql_error log is only showing the restarts.

pjm