not knowing anything about PHP (java geek, myself), I'm guessing that your connections
are timing out, and php is not configured to try to reconnect....

Another option is that you are not closing your connections, so you can't get a new
connection to do anything with.  Also new to MySQL, I'm not sure of a command that you
can use to show current connections.... but I'm sure it's out there...

with the popularity of PHP, I have to think it has built-in connection pooling
facilities that may help resolve these issues...

Realizing that a Java/Oracle knowledgebase is somewhat lacking in PHP/MySQL,

Dan Greene