On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:42:35 -0400
Parker Morse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Periodically our PHP sites will fail to connect using mysql_pconnect().
> We currently have three sites on the colo box (two more are waiting on
> shared hosting until I can solve this problem) and they all fail at
> once. mysqld is still running, though. If I shut down mysqld and
> restart, they are able to connect again. This makes me think the
> problem is with how I have MySQL configured. However, nothing useful is
> being logged anywhere in the /var/log heirarchy, so I can't figure out
> what's going wrong.

Please, read http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.persistent-connections.php
I recommend you not to use *_pconnect. There are some big problems with persistent
connections and these problems are 'by design'.
Use SQLrelay if you need real connection pooling.
In your case MySQL probably says 'too many connections' and you can catch this error
message if you'll turn on error_log in php.ini.

---
WBR,
Antony Dovgal aka tony2001
[EMAIL PROTECTED]