all,

> >LACNIC is not the equivalent of NANOG any more than ARIN is.
> >According to <http://lacnic.net/en/sobre-lacnic/cobertura/
> >index.html>, LACNIC covers Mexico.  If a meeting were suggested in
> >Mexico, would you say NANOG should not meet there because LACNIC
> >has meetings there?
> >
> >Perhaps the DR is not considered North America, but I thought it
> >was.  It is closer to Florida than Puerto Rico, which is part of
> >the US.  If the DR is not in NA, then we can have a discussion
> >about the applicability of NANOG meeting there.
>
> Probably the appropriate discussion to have first...
>
> DR is considered Central America, not North America.
> https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/dr.html

i view this as a mostly silly discussion, but, for context:

the term 'nortemaericano' or 'norteamerica' refers explicitly to the
united states (with almost no thought given to canadia) in the spanish
language as commonly spoken in latin america, including the dominican
republic.

regardless of what the US cia says, the DR is *not* in central america
(as defined both by dominicans and by central americans).

t.