Joe Abley wrote:

Can I suggest that the most practical approach to deal with the question at hand is not to dwell on geopolitics, but instead to address the original question: would attending a meeting in the Dominican Republic involve undue hardship to the community, or perhaps be difficult to manage for some other reason (e.g. corporate travel policy)?

On the one hand, I have to say that if it's my own money, it's not going to happen. It's just too far away (for me). Not considering the plane fare, though, I don't think it's necessarily a bad suggestion. I *do* wonder where all the attendees will be coming from (the local ones, I mean). I know how shockingly impoverished Jamaica is, and we can't even talk about Haiti. I know far less about the Dominican Republic, other than that it's far better off than either of the other two.

So far I've heard one person suggest that they would have trouble obtaining corporate approval to travel, two people saying that they'd expect no such problem, and one person strongly in favour of warm locations for winter meetings. That doesn't give us much to go on.

This is an interesting question. Considering the unrest in neighboring Haiti, I'd be more inclined to at least consider it, depending on *where* in the nice, peaceful Dominican Republic we were talking about.

https://www.osac.gov/Reports/index.cfm?display=region&region=3

Close to Haiti? Bad.

https://www.osac.gov/Regions/country.cfm?country=99

The DR itself is no different in problems than, say, Los Angeles (and probably safer that some of it). It would probably be lovely. It's a big island. Where exactly are you talking about?

--
Any commercial institution that is serious about protecting their
customers from phishing will stop sending mail marked up with HTML.