Ian - you're a star - thanks! (and thanks for letting us know before I was going and do the same thing for some of the tasks. :) )

re: directory tree / namespaces. My own take is that tasks that have binary dependencies outside of NAnt at least at compile time (e.g. StarTeam with its interop requirement) should go into an optional directory, but that there's no harm in other tasks being merged into the main NAnt tree (e.g. I would make GacTask 'Nant.DotNet.Tasks.GacTask' in nant/src/NAnt.DotNet/Tasks and StarTeamTask 'Nant.Optional.SourceControl.Tasks.StarTeamTask in (maybe) nant/src/NAnt.Optional/SourceControl/Tasks). If the task help index page starts getting cluttered, we can always make it categorized based on namespace, and then alphabetical.

In terms of how this is packaged into binaries, I think the main NAnt release could be everything apart from NAnt.Optional. The optional tasks could be a separate download and if required dropped into Nant/bin as normal (yes, its cluttered but will only be there if people need it, and it removes the need for sub-directories and multiple paths)

... but both of these things are minor - the fact that a lot of these tasks are going into NAnt at all is the main thing so thanks again!

Mike

Ian MacLean wrote:

OK I bit the bullet on this today and copied all the NAntContrib tasks to a new NAnt.Optional directory under my nant source tree.
I went thru and fixed all the issues Mike mentiond and then some. Nothing too difficult just lots of find and replace. It all compiles and the tasks load fine. I'm not going to commit this to the nant tree just yet because:

1) I don't think we are quite agreed that we should move all those tasks into NAnt ( although I'm starting to lean that way ) and
2) if we do move them I'll get the sf admins to import the .rcs files so that we can preserve the history.

what I'll do is post the updated source as a zip tomorrow so that people can try it out and test that their favourite nantcontrib tasks are still working.

NAnt.OptionalTasks.dll and dependencies weigh in at around 1mb which won't make the distribution too much larger. I'm going to propose that the optional stuff goes into a subdir of bin. so:
bin\optional

this way there is less clutter in the main bin directory and users will be able to change a taskpath setting in the config file to prevent scanning of NAnt.OptionalTasks.dll for tasks if they don't want to use it.

so any feedback on the strategy to take - and stay posted for that .zip.

Ian

I am concerned about the friction NAnt users are experiencing trying to
contribute and in general use the NAntContrib tasks:
http://www.iunknown.com/000278.html

I would love to help clean up NAntContrib. I have some recent experience
from updating the StarTeam tasks. I will take a look at the items Mike
listed and see what I can do. If anyone can relay motes of wisdom please
jump in.
Kevin Miller

-------
From: Mike Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Updating Nant-Contrib to latest Nant 2003-06-25 14:56 I spent a couple of hours looking at updating Nant-Contrb last night to

compile against the latest NAnt, and realised its a lot more than just changing the namespace hierarchy from Sourceforge.Nant to Nant.Core. Other updates since Nant 0.8.2 that effect Nant-Contrib include:
- Logging has completely changed
- Log Listeners have disappeared, so FileLogListener and the RecordTask

need to change significantly
- Some classnames have changed (e.g. 'MsftFXSDKExternalProgramBase')
- Some stuff has moved to Nant.Core.Types
- OptionCollection stuff seems to have completely changed
- and more (I think)

In light of this, the fact that I don't know Nant-Contrib very well,
and also that there aren't a significant amount of tests, I'm now reluctant

to update the whole of Nant-Contrib. I'm only using the <mkiisdir>
task, so can just update that locally..

....However, I'm going to bold now and give my opinion which the
project leads are more than free to completely disregard. :)

I don't really understand why Nant-Contrib and Nant are 2 separate projects. I can see the value in having separation to some extent (e.g.

downloadable binaries, so that users don't have to download a bunch of tasks that they don't want), but on the other hand complete separation leads to (a) confusion in the user community and (b) the kind of situation that currently exists where there are significant differences

between the 2 trees. I personally think it would be valuable,
therefore, if the following happened:
1 - As a goal, the Nant-Contrib project should be phased out
2 - All the work (that is going to continue to live on) from Nant-Contrib should be (task-by-task) brought into the Nant project, maybe under a separate directory called 'optional-tasks'[a]
3 - The Nant buildfile should compile both the NAnt Core, the existing extra tasks and the 'optional-tasks' so that the latter of these don't get out of sync with changes to the core.
4 - ... a result of which would be the tasks imported from Nant-Contrib

would also be updated to fit in with latest NAnt

[a] - I actually think that some of the (smaller) tasks from Nant-Contrib maybe better off in the main Nant download. Perhaps the NAnt committee would want to think about each task on a case-by-case
basis.

Of course, I'm a newbie round here, and there are probably very good reasons for the separation of the projects and I'm just being presumptuous to suggest such a plan of action. :)

Cheers,

Mike