Tomas Restrepo wrote:

Ian,

Why optional? If we're gonna move them, you might as well move them right.
For example, some Nant tasks should go into the main Nant builds... Things
like GAC and XSD are fairly common DotNet development operations (I don't
know what criteria you guys are using for separating the tasks, though, so I
may be mistaken here).

totally. I have been meaning to move about 6 tasks into Nnt.DotNet ( gac, xsd etc ) and some others into NAnt.Win32 ( comRegister etc )
First priority was to get everything compiling. We can move tasks to their appopriate namespaces as needed. However I would still consider tasks like starteam optional - apologiesto those starteam users who consider them crucial.

re <rant> I hear you and hopefully this will be the last of the re-structuring for a good while. I think the code base is cleaner for it and it will help us going forward. I apologise for the
inconvenience to task writers. However it took only around 3 hours to get all of NAntContrib ( 48 tasks ) compiling. Granted I have more familiarity with the nant sources and what has changed than most task writers so I'd be happy to put together a checklist for moving tasks to compile to the latest nant.

You are right - many of these changes were done without much consideration for external task writers. To be honest I wasn't aware that so many people were writing external tasks.

re version number - like many open source projects we've just kinda been bumping it every time there is a release. Personally I think that with the recent addition of fileset references, cvs tasks and multiple framework support NAnt is getting close to feature complete. After the upcoming release I propose that we gather a list of required features for 1.0 and start setting up a timeframe. You are right - nant has been out there for quite some time now and is used by more and more people. Its getting stable enough that we can stop making re-structuring changes that will break existing tasks - unless there is really good reasons for adding them.

so thanks Tomas - points taken on board.

Ian

<rant>
That said, I'd like to take the opportunity to vent something that has been
nagging me for a while: All the continous Nant restructuring.
Granted, some good things have gone on, and the base is much clear. However,
I'm going to be brutally honest here: Even though no 1.0 release of nant has
ever been done, it has been used by people to build *real* systems for a
really long time now. And you know what? Everyone I've met using Nant has
created their own tasks to make their builds more powerful/simple/easier,
and that's a *good* thing.

However, all the restructuring going on keeps breaking their tasks code, and
that ain't nice. Hell, we can't even keep NAntContrib compiling and that's
supposed to be *the* nant partner-project. How do you expect people to keep
up with all the changes you guys do? (and I'll be even more brutal here and
say many of those changes have been fairly gratuitous, with very, very
little added value).

My big point is that many of the changes were done with little or no regard
to the impact they might have on code outside the actual nant code base, and
that's a problem now. One I personally consider a serious one. The sad part
is, many of them could've been done in a gradual maner, deprecating and
wrapping things so that people could slowly migrate things over. Things like
the logging infrastructure, Option sets, etc, could've been approach in such
a way that they didn't force people into having to change perfectly working
code all at once, for example.

If you want people to use nant effectively, and be able to take advantage of
what new builds of Nant offers easily, you need to start taking into
consideration just how easy is going to migrate to a new build, and that
takes far more than simply ensuring the .build files are valid. Just
something to think about.
</rant>