On Thu, 09 Oct 2003, Matthew Mastracci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not sure that I agree with changing the license to a BSD or
> Apache-style license.

As you are responding to a mail of mine, please note that I've just
explained some things about different licenses and what would be
involved with changing the license.  I did so because Ian and Gert
said this was what the project intended to do.

Personally I'd be glad to see NAnt switch to a different license, but
I'm not involved in this project and would never try to push it.

> The code I've contributed was for a GPL project - changing it now
> would be the same to me as a "bait-and-switch" scheme pulled by a
> company.

I'm very glad you say that (now).  This is the reason why I said that
the project must make sure with all past contributors that a license
change would be fine with them.

> NAnt works well as a GPL'd project.  It's effectively a stand-alone
> project.  Any company wanting to incorporate it could simply bundle
> the executable.

You cannot write a NAnt task that uses parts of NAnt's API and
distribute that task under a license other than GPL (think of
Subversion or NUnit distributing a NAnt task for example).  Same for a
GUI sitting on top of NAnt or IDE plugins or ...

If you use NAnt's API, you are creating a derived work.

> I don't see how a GPL'd .NET build project would scare people away
> more than a GPL'd C++ compiler.

Using NAnt is no problem (as using gcc or Emacs), extending NAnt would
be.

Cheers

        Stefan