Regarding fading, I've seen clocks that gradually make 1 digit dimmer as
the next digit becomes brighter (with overlap), and it looks more like a
blurry mess. You may want to use PWM to dim the changing digit in a 100-200
msec, before you gradually turn-on the next value. It might be annoying for
digits changing every second (or in your case, 1/10 second ??), but for
tens-seconds and beyond it should look OK. None of the clocks I've built so
far will support this, but the next one will be capable of it.

Based on the HV5530 driver, I'm assuming your clock is direct-drive, so you
will have more options for effects.

Did you add a level-shifter to drive the 5530's inputs at the recommended
12V signal-levels ? I'm also curious if you cascaded the serial
data-in/data out signals if both 5530's use the same clock; per the
datasheet, doing so is a timing risk (data-hold time is 10nsec, and there
is no min-prop delay specified hence assume 0. This implies a 10nsec timing
risk).

I'm finalizing the PC board for my 14-digit IN-18 clock, and took no risks:
Using a level-shifter, and separate clocks for each HV5530. I'm using an
FPGA instead of a microcontroller, and I have enough room on the FPGA for a
small CPU (probably Z80) if I decide to go that route instead of pure
Verilog code.