> > I don't see a way to dim just one digit. With multiplexing, as each
> digit is selected the PWM rate could be set >differently, but I don't see
> how to do it with direct drive.
>
> Dimming individual digits is possible with hardware control, but probably
not with software. The idea is to resend the serial data to the HV5530's
twice every few milliseconds or so: Once to turn off the digit(s) to be
dimmed, then again to turn all digits on. By adjusting the on and off
times, you are doing PWM. I have 2 cascaded HV5530's (64 bits), and I clock
them at 1.5Mhz, so it's possible to do PWM up to a few kHz.

> A 14 digit IN-18 clock sounds interesting. What are you doing with the
> extra digits?

I went overboard, so it displays hours, minutes, seconds, date, month, year
= 14 digits. My wife saw the nixie clock in the movie "Tomorrowland" and
ordered me to build one for her (yeah, like I'm going to say no ???). I saw
no purpose for 12 digits, so I super-sized it to 14 digits. To level-out
the tube usage, I swap date and time locations hourly, then run a
depoisoning routine at 4AM for 1 hour.

The clock will be in our vacation home, so the tubes will be off most of
the time. It will be an art-deco theme, in a wooden case complete with 2
large toggle switches and 1950's-era incandescent panel lamps. I expect it
will be 30 inches wide x 5 inches deep x 5 inches tall. I'm leery about the
reliability of non-Burroughs tubes, and we already have 3 nixie clocks
running 24/7 (why not, they are Burroughs tubes....) in our permanent home.