David, I will put everything on Github when the new boards arrive. The
schematic and board were done with Diptrace.

Greg, the 1/10th second digit won't fade or use effects because it changes
so quickly. The 'vibrate' effect works only on the other six digits.

A level shifter is used, and all three 5530s use the same clock. I don't
see how to implement separate clocks, and it works fine as is. I did some
quick timing tests and it appears that the display can be updated no faster
than 17ms, as the code stands. It is only updated at 100ms now, and 25ms
when the vibrate effect is used.

The blanking line on the 5530s dims the display with PWM. I don't see a way
to dim just one digit. With multiplexing, as each digit is selected the PWM
rate could be set differently, but I don't see how to do it with direct
drive.

A 14 digit IN-18 clock sounds interesting. What are you doing with the
extra digits?