I tried doing something similar, and that's how I came up with the
vibration effect, which is really just a failed attempt at cross fading.
I'm not sure whether the limitation is with the hardware or software,
probably both. Writing to registers rather than using digitalWrite() may
speed it up enough. That can be someone else's project at this point, I
don't think I'll spend more time on it for now.

The clock on the Metronome in Union Square, uses 15 digits. Time, time to
midnight, and 1/100 seconds in between. I think 1/10 makes more sense
because at least you can see the digits. I like your idea better, but a
combination would make it very interesting.
Here's the info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metronome_(public_artwork)