Test them and watch for incomplete illumination, or blackness inside the
glass.
My experience with Burroughs nixies is that the 5092's are *very* reliable;
I've never had one fail even after several years. These tubes contain
mercury, so it's possible that's what you see on the glass. Many of my
5092's have no known history, so I assume many of them were used. They
still work fine.

I've had one 6091 fail, and it is blackened on the inside of the glass
after 1 year of usage. None of my other Burroughs nixies are blackened, so
I suspect that this tube had excessive cathode sputtering. Most likely it
was a manufacturing anomaly.

Beware of Burroughs 5031 tubes. They are earlier-generation than the 5092,
and I have several that don't illuminate properly. Even attempting to
depoison them with excess current made no improvement. I suspect they have
leaked some of their neon gas over time, and that newer-generation tubes
improved the metal-to-glass sealing. Remember that we're talking about
tubes made 50+ years ago, so it's rather amazing they still work after all
that time.